A Community of Learning | Kāhui Ako is a group of education and training providers that form around children and young people’s learning pathways, and work together to help them achieve their full potential. Schools, kura, early learning services me ngā kōhanga reo and post-secondary providers can be included. Communities of Learning are a part of Government’s Investing in Educational Success (IES) initiative.
Community of Learning Members
Our Community of Learning consists of nine schools and eight ECE’s based around the foothills of Opuke (Mt Hutt) and along the plains bordered by the Rakaia River.
Secondary School Members
- Mt Hutt College (Year 7 – 15)
Primary School Members
- Chertsey School (Contributing)
- Dorie School (Full Primary)
- Lauriston School (Contributing)
- Mayfield School (Full Primary)
- Methven School (Contributing)
- Mt Somers Springburn School (Full Primary)
- Our Lady of the Snows School (Full Primary)
- Rakaia School (Full Primary)
- Dorie Community Preschool
- Kiddz Homebased Community Childcare
- Leap Ahead Early Childhood Centre
- Methven Playcentre
- Methven Pre School Learning & Child Care Centre
- Rakaia Little Learners
- Rakaia Playcentre
- Skiwiland – Mt Hutt
Initial Achievement Challenges
Each Community of Learning sets shared goals, or achievement challenges, based on the particular needs of its learners. Once these have been endorsed by the Minister of Education, the Community of Learning works with learners, their parents, whānau, iwi and communities to achieve those challenges.
With the ultimate aim to improve outcomes for all learners, the Opuke Community has analysed our assessment data and identified three initial areas of Challenge:
- We will accelerate achievement in mathematics for all students in Years 1-10.
- We will accelerate achievement in writing for all boys in Years 1-10.
- We will raise achievement and endorsement levels in NCEA Level 2.