Being a school trustee is an important role that needs people with a range of skills and experiences, who will make a positive difference to our children’s learning.
The Methven Primary School Board of Trustees has what is called a ‘rotating’ board. This means that we have Board elections every 18 months where only half the positions come up for election rather than all positions every three years.
Elections this year will be held in December for 3 parent representatives for a three-year term.
Nominations closed at noon on Sunday 1st November for the election of three (3) parent representatives to the board of trustees.
All eligible voters received:
- Voting papers will be sent out by Friday 6th November 2020.
- Election Day is Friday 4th December 2020.
- Postal votes will be accepted up until Wednesday 9th December.
- The votes will be counted on Thursday 10th December 2020.
- Board takes office Friday 11th December 2020.
Frequently Asked Questions
What to trustees do?
Trustees work together to support teaching and learning and the ongoing improvement of student achievement, including:
- Set the educational goals and strategic direction of the school
- Monitor how the school is progressing against its annual targets, and how well students are achieving
- Support the principal and support the development of all staff
- Oversee the management of staff, property, finances, curriculum and administration.
When are the Board meetings?
Our Board currently meets on a Wednesday evening, twice a term.
What skills do I need?
Our Board needs a range of competencies, skills & personal qualities:
- Visionary leadership
- Strategic & analytical thinkers
- Practical people
- People who can communicate well and are team players
- Strategic expertise
- Financial and legal understanding
- Risk and people management
- Property development skills
- Knowledge of the education environment
- Curiosity & Courage
- Interpersonal skills
- Genuine interest in the school and its students
- Time and commitment, a willingness to learn
It is not expected that each trustee will have all of these skills, but a range of skills across the Board is essential.
There are a number of ways to find out more information on school trustees:
- Visit the New Zealand School Trustee Website.
- Come along to our next Board meeting to see how it all works (Wednesday 28 October 2020). Please contact our Board Secretary, Michelle Bungard to arrange attending the meeting. Email or phone 03 302 8500.
- Speak with a current school trustee: Paul Ensor, Steve Judd, Cameron Glass, Denise King, Anna Johnson, Hamish Monk.
- Speak with our staff Board Representative: Hannah Grant.
- Speak with our Acting Principal or Deputy Principal: Sue Furndorfler & Rosie Robinson.
- Speak with our Board Secretary, Michelle Bungard.
- Other useful information is available by clicking on the following link: A Parent’s Guide to the Role of the Board of Trustees.